Most of our writing service reviews relate to companies that offer research, writing, and other coursework services to students. Occasionally, though, we come across other types of resources that provide assistance to students, and PaperRater is one of those.
This PaperRater review will look a bit different than those we do for more common writing services, but it will provide helpful information for students who might want to seek its services.
PaperRater.com markets itself as a free service to students who have crafted their own writing or other coursework assignments but need a professional review and correction.
There are actually two levels of service – a basic free one and a premium one that will cost $14.95 a month (with a discounted price for an annual membership). The levels and types of services vary a lot, so we encourage students to check out what the basic free service provides and what the premium service adds to that.
Students who do select the premium service can sign up for a monthly automated payment system that will be debited from their account, or they may pay an annual fee up front for the discounted price.
Types of Services
Much of PaperRater services are automated through artificial intelligence, and that means students can get almost immediate results. Here are the major services that PaperRater provides:
- Plagiarism Detection: PaperRater detection program scans all submitted writing. An originality score is generated -above 90% is generally acceptable.
- Grammar and Spelling Checker: No, Microsoft Word does not catch everything. PaperRater has a patented piece of cloud-based software that checks grammar and spelling within the context of the piece, not just as singular words or phrases. Thus, errors such as “there, their, and they’re” will be found and corrected.
- Proofreading: Again, PaperRater has an automated system that operates 24 hours a day and provides responses within minutes.
- Feedback and Writing Instruction: This is a part of the PaperRater premium package. A piece of writing will be thoroughly analyzed, and suggestions will be provided for fixing any issues that are found. As well, the related English grammar/composition rules will be explained.
- Automated Scoring: Again, this is a PaperRater automated program that will analyze a piece of writing and provide a grade that the student can expect to get from an instructor.
- Vocabulary Builder: PaperRater offers this unique tool that operates almost as a thesaurus. It will suggest alternate words, provide their definitions and examples of how they can be used in sentences.
As far as a breakdown between the basic free program and the premium version, here it is:
- Can submit up to 50 pages at a time
- Can get 10 plagiarism checks per month
- A grammar and spelling check
- Writing suggestions
- Automated scoring
- All of the benefits of the basic version
- Can submit up to 200 pages
- 25 plagiarism checks per month
- Ad-free use of the website
- Plagiarism check integrated with proofreading
- Enhanced plagiarism check showing matching text
- Faster processing
We cannot recommend which version a student should opt for. That should be based upon their individual needs.
Relative to quality, we did look at what actual customers have had to say about PaperRater.com services. Those who used the basic free package did find the services useful. On consumer review websites, we also found some reviews that were generally positive.
PaperRater accepts payments via major credit/debit cards that are connected to customer bank accounts. Students can opt for a monthly billing cycle, or they can pay upfront for an entire year.
We are always concerned about the protection of consumer financial data as it is processed for payment to any writing service. We were finally able to get in touch with PaperRater and did learn that they use a third-party SSL-certified processor for customer payments.
Because of the nature of its business, PaperRater does not provide the normal guarantees that we always expect to see from writing services. After all, the company is not producing academic products, only reviewing and analyzing them.
There are no guarantees that the analyses and suggestions will result in a better grade.
Is Site Legit?
We can say without any reservations that PaperRater.com is a legitimate site. It is part of a larger organization, Barnes and Noble Education, Inc., which operates a number of subsidiaries.
There is clear contact information, via email, should a visitor or customer need to ask any questions or want additional information about any of the services PaperRater offers.
According to customers, in fact, they do get exactly what they want when they access any of the PaperRater features.
We do see some definite advantages to using PaperRater.com:
- PaperRater basic plan does provide some editing and proofreading that will polish up a piece of writing
- PaperRater premium plan provides instruction as well as correction
- Use of service will help to improve grades/scores on written coursework
- Basic plan may not provide enough for some student needs
- PaperRater monthly subscription may be more expensive than purchasing individual piece editing from a writing service
To Sum Up
PaperRater.com provides a valuable service to students who are struggling with their own writing skills. Its basic free plan will analyze and correct many of the common errors that students make. The PaperRater premium plan will do even more, including providing instruction and vocabulary building. Students need to be aware that PaperRater is not a writing service, only a resource that will help them submit a more polished piece of writing.